Photographer Profile

My name is Melissa Howell and I specialize in custom portrait design for your home. You can visit my official photography website at http://www.blueprintsphotography.com/ to view more of my work and to contact me to set up a consultation.

Wednesday, September 7, 2011

Me and My Philosophy (Photographically Speaking)

I went to my daughter's favorite fast-food restaurant today. We ordered our food, and it came quickly and without fanfare. The fries were hot, but there was too much ice in the drink, and I noticed that the chicken breast on my sandwich was noticeably thinner than it had been in the past. We got our own napkins, straws and ketchup. Still, the food was tasty, and we quickly ate it and left. I compare this experience to several I had while living in Japan. I was teaching English there, and on Christmas, they had a party for all the teachers at a really nice restaurant. The food was GORGEOUS. It was almost too beautiful to eat. Everything was perfectly framed in a ceramic or laquer bowl or plate. The organization of the food and the colors were so pleasing to the eye. And in my bowl of soup were floating flakes of real gold. We were served expertly by lovely women wearing kimonos, and we never had to get up to get anything for ourselves. The whole experience was enchanting and unexpected.
Photography can be like the two meals I just described--or anywhere inbetween. It can be served up quickly without much thought or care, or it can be a wonderful feast where you feel like a special guest. My goal is to provide the latter experience. This starts with a pre-session consultation where we discuss all the aspects of your shoot so we can be as prepared as possible when the day of the shoot arrives. I show you all my products, and you get a feel for what you might like. For example, if you are interested in an album, I will ask you to bring more changes of clothing so we can get enough variety. We will also choose more backdrops for your shoot if it is in my studio. If you want a large portrait to hang over your fireplace or piano, we will discuss whether it needs to be horizontal or vertical, and plan accordingly.

After the shoot, I actually come to your home to show you your images. While there, I will walk around with you and find the perfect location for all your prints, so you don't have to worry about where to hang your artwork. We'll pick out frames together, and your completed artwork will be delivered right to your front door! No more taking prints to the framers and worring about transporting them there and back.

The bottom line is, I am like that kimono-clad server at a sumptuous dinner. You don't have to get up. You don't have to worry about a thing. I am here to serve you gorgeous artwork of your family. And who knows? There may just be a few surprise specks of gold, too :)

1 comment:

Lynette said...

I'm impressed. You are going to a lot of work to make the wonderful portraits that you do. Good for you.